# Henry Fonda, 12 Angry Men
2. Steinway & Sons, established in 1853, is one of the world’s premier manufacturers of high-quality pianos. Since 1996, its stocks have been traded in the NYSE using the initials of a famous personality as the ticker symbol. Who?
# LVB, as in Beethoven
3. Complete this line from Nathaniel Hawthorne’s introduction to The Scarlet Letter, titled The Custom-House:
“Human nature will not flourish, any more than a potato, if it be planted and replanted, for too long a series of generations, in the same worn out soil. My children have had other birthplaces, and, so far as their fortunes may be within my control, shall strike their roots into _______________.”
# Unaccustomed Earth, as in Jhumpa Lahiri
4. This movie’s title was registered with Kumar Gaurav. The director showed him the film and, much impressed, Gaurav relinquished the title. This prompted the director to thank him in the opening credits. Name this movie, based on a Gujarati play called Aatam Vinjhe Paankh, by Prakash Kapadia, which in turn was based on a Hollywood film.
5. This director claims to have created his script from three unrelated stories printed in the Los Angeles Times. The stories were unrelated but all had the same theme - a young immigrant male, said to be from Combodia, would have a bad dream from which he woke up screaming. He would avoid sleeping as much as possible but when he did next, he would awake screaming and writhing and then die of a heart attack. The same story appeared in three six monthly intervals in the paper, at different locations in California.
The director incorporated these elements into his film, which went on to be his first major hit. Name the director and the film.
# Wes Craven, A Nightmare on Elm Street
6. He has an organic cheese making farm in Coonoor, called Acres Wild. The ‘about me’ page on the farm's website reads:
“… Did several years of engineering at institutions like IIT, Cornell and M.I.T. to finally decide that I would never pass my Bachelor of Science. So took leave from college in 1980 and ended up making 4 Hindi feature films... All this was while I was plotting about how to run away from Mumbai City and live on a sailboat and sail around the world, but that did not happen. But twenty four years later I did get away. So now it is Acres Wild and whatever it entails.”
# Mansoor Khan
7. It owes its origins to a 1921 Saturday Evening Post story, ‘The Song of the Dragon’. In order to discuss certain plot elements of this film, the director and the writer met with Robert Millikan at Caltech in mid-1945, before the Manhattan Project became public. (This resulted in the FBI keeping the director under surveillance for three months.) Millikan refused to divulge much, but confirmed that the substance of their primary interest could fit in a wine bottle.
Identify the movie.
# Notorious. Uranium was the substance that could fit in a wine bottle.
8. This song's reign at number-one in the UK occurred as the region was hit by extreme rainfall and flooding, which led some people to jokingly suggest the two events were related, the media referring to it as the “___ Curse”. Interestingly, the precise day the song was knocked from the #1 position, the weather seemed to improve.
A similar situation occurred in New Zealand, when the song hit #1 as the country was experiencing some of the worst storms in history. Greece had a very bad run of heatwaves until this song peaked at #4, when it started raining.
Recently, the follow up to this song hit #1 in the UK and sure enough, the rains came back. Name the song and the artist.
9. Joe Hill, writer, received the first ever Sydney J. Bounds Best Newcomer Award from the British Fantasy Society, at the 31st Fantasycon. His first book, a short-story collection titled 20th Century Ghosts, won the Bram Stoker Award for Best Fantasy Collection in 2005. He is also the author of Locke & Key, the first issue of which sold out within a day of its release on Feb 20, 2008.
Name his dad.
# Stephen King
10. The Buy 'n Large Corporation's Waste Allocation Load Lifter•Earth-Class was in the news recently. Why?
davenchit: My turn now. Just you wait, 'enry 'iggins.
Do let me know if any of you want to set a quiz and don't have privileges.